Classes for holding data
The following are the main classes used to hold data in Ado.NET:
- A DataSet is an in-memory representation of the database.
- DataSet contains DataTables (and more...)
- DataTable represents a database table
- DataTable contains DataRows (and more...)
- A DataRow represents a record in a database table.
- DataRow is a collection of all fields in a record.
We can use the DataAdapter or DataReader to populate data in DataSet. Once we populate data from database, we can loop through all Tables in the DataSet and through each record in each Table.
On the first look, this may look bit confusing, but once you understand the concept and get familiar with the Ado.NET classes, you will appreciate the power and flexibility of Ado.NET.